Threads is a new social media app that was launched in 2023 by Meta. It is designed to be a space for real-time public conversations and extends Instagram from only photo and video-sharing to text-based idea sharing. Threads is still in its early stages, but it has already gained a lot of traction, with around 33 million daily active users and 120 million monthly active users according to Apptopia. This makes it a promising platform for businesses of all sizes.
The rise of threads
Threads made an impressive debut in July 2023, amassing 100 million users within just ten days of its launch. This remarkable growth not only surpassed that of the former record-holder, ChatGPT, but also seemed to have impacted X‘s (formerly known as Twitter) traffic, drawing many to the platform amidst X’s controversies.
However, as often happens with social media trends, the initial excitement began to die down. By one month post-launch, Threads’ usage had declined sharply. Reports indicated a 79% reduction in usage and an 89% drop in the average time spent on the app. The promising 21 minutes per day that users initially spent on Threads had dwindled to a mere three minutes by August 7th. Furthermore, more than half of its user base had evaporated since its explosive launch.
For marketers eyeing Threads, its time to remain adaptable. As with any new platform, it demands innovative strategies distinct from those used on well-established platforms like Facebook. It’s essential to watch, learn, and test. After all, there was a time when TikTok faced skepticism, but its story of success underscores the unpredictability of the social media landscape.
So, why should businesses consider using Threads?
There are a number of reasons why businesses should consider using Threads to reach their target audience and grow their business. Here are a few:
- Threads has a character limit of 500 characters, compared to X’s 280-character limit. This gives businesses more space to share their thoughts and ideas.
- Threads allows users to post videos up to 5 minutes long, compared to Twitter’s 2 minutes 20 seconds. This gives businesses more flexibility in the type of content they can share.
- Threads posts can be shared on Instagram to increase reach, and Instagram feeds now display Threads posts. Businesses can also create a separate Close Friends list to share more personalised content to a particular group.
- Threads suggest posts from users and accounts that businesses may like and want to follow. This is a great way for businesses to form new connections and expand their following.
- Threads is still a relatively new platform, which means that businesses have an opportunity to be early adopters and establish themselves as thought leaders in their industry.
Examples of brands using Threads really well
A number of brands are already using Threads really well to reach their target audience and grow their business. Here are a few examples:
- Wendy’s: Always recognised for its sharp-witted social media antics, Wendy’s hasn’t missed a beat on Threads. They cleverly intertwine current trends, like the popular pumpkin spice craze, steering the narrative back to what they’re renowned for – beef.
- Nike: On Threads, Nike seamlessly communicates its core brand ethos, celebrating athletes participating in various tournaments and showcasing their latest launches, like the much-talked-about LeBron XXIs.
- BBC Sport: BBC Sport has effectively turned Threads into a hub for real-time sports updates and breaking news. A recent highlight includes coverage of the Fury v Ngannou match, spurring lively discussions among followers.
These are just a few examples of how brands are using Threads to reach their target audience and grow their business. If you are looking for a new social media platform to use for your business, Threads is a great option to consider.
Tips for using Threads effectively
Here are a few tips for using Threads effectively for your business:
- Threads users are looking for genuine and authentic content. Be yourself and let your brand personality shine through in your posts.
- Post regularly on Threads to keep your followers engaged. You don’t need to post multiple times a day, but you should aim to post at least once a week.
- Threads is a visual platform, so use high-quality images and videos in your posts.
- Threads is all about conversation. Respond to comments and questions from your followers, and participate in other users’ threads.
- Hashtags are a great way to get your posts seen by more people. Use relevant hashtags in your posts to reach a wider audience.
By following these tips, you can use Threads to potentially reach your target audience, grow your business, and become a thought leader in your industry. Good luck!